Thursday, August 4, 2011

Finders Keepers?

     After coming home last weekend from what was a very eventful, fun, and exhausting weekend up in the cities, I was getting Asher ready for bed while my husband was unloading the car and putting things away. To my surprise he came into my sons room and said, oooppss, I didn't realize the box wasn't for us." He had, unknowingly opened a package that was sitting at our doorstep only to notice that the receipt on top of the merchandise was addressed to someone else. He said the paper said something about fruity pebbles, so I'm thinking, do people really order cereal online too? wow. I guess if you can get a good deal. It took me a while to get Asher all tucked into bed and to sleep before I could check out this mystery cereal box for myself. As I fumbled over the receipt looking for the address of the original owner I notice on the header "LIA SOPHIA JEWELRY". My curiosity got the best of me as I looked for the fruity pebbles only to find it was the name of a necklace. At the bottom of the receipt I see a total of  $418.00. There in, starts my major dilemma. I had in my hands, over four hundred dollars of jewelry, that, if I kept it no one would ever know I had it. It was free, it was a Summer miracle. I had worked hard this year, I was pregnant, had a baby,and started school for my bachelors degree. Our family has given up a lot of our creature comforts and "gifts to ourselves" in order to have a child and for me to stay home and raise him. I haven't bought a single piece of jewelry in over a year, not even a turn your finger green ring from the quarter machine. I DESERVED THIS. I opened up all the boxes just basking in their glory. Thinking about what clothes they would match, where I would wear some of the pieces first, and getting a little pouty about the fact that there were only 1 pair of earrings. 
      
     In the midst of my greed driven party for one I realized what may happen to the person these are for. If your not familiar with Lia Sophia it is one of those pyramid type companies, someone has a  party, people buy the product, and the party host delivers the merchandise. So what happens when the pre paid  merchandise does not make it to the host? She is out $418.00. What if she is just like me? A stay at home mom, only this is her one way of making some sort of income. My greed could ruin her. If I had 400+ dollars taken from me, it could sink my family. Was I the type of person to do that to someone?

     The next morning, I called her. Because I had no packing tape I figured it would be safer for her to come get it rather then me leaving it on her doorstep for someone else to look into or steal. She told me she had to run an errand then she would be over. I thought that odd. I had almost half a thousand dollars worth of her stuff, I was only 2 streets away, and she wasn't going to come get it first? 

     The day progressed and finally by 2pm, (I had called her at 9am) She called and said she was on her way. I waited at the window watching every mini van and SUV pass without stopping. If she was a mommy like me where is her mommy vehicle? I have a baby friendly SUV so she must too. A few minutes later a tiny little 2 door sport car pulls up into my driveway and a 20 something girl steps out. OK, so maybe shes not EXACTLY like me. I handed her the box and waited for the thank yous and There just aren't enough people like you in the worlds. But nothing, not even an I'm glad you called. So I told her my husband opened it by mistake, but could you just believe my excitement when I saw what was inside! She just looked at me and said yea, I went on a little shopping spree...

     I should have kept it! I should have gotten to look pretty, and feel special in my new jewelry. She didn't deserve it, she didn't pop out a kid and give up her whole identity for the title of mom. She didn't have to cut off her once long blond hair because it was falling out in clumps and her child was using it as a safety rope to hold on too. Her tummy isn't weird looking, and shes not eating chicken everyday ensure that she looks like she did pre-baby. Her chest doesn't change sizes dependent on the time of day. That jewelry was going to dangle from my neck, wrists and ears, and make me feel like a real woman again. Instead she will just add it to her already to full armoire, wear it once and forget about it. 

     She pulled out of the driveway and after all my ranting and raving in my head I couldn't help but think, Why do I think I am so entitled? She doesn't owe me anything, the jewelry was hers, I didn't pay for it, I would have just been stealing it. Why did I think my life was so dramatically changed borderline ruined? I have a husband who loves me unconditionally, a child who loves me without hesitation, and a career of staying home and simply being a mom that many working moms would give anything to have. Sometimes I need a slap in the face and a voice that tells me "You've got what you have always wanted, the only thing you lack is the ability to be content. Learn how." I can only speak for myself but I assume that most of us think we need more, we need bigger and better and we forget that everytime we wish for something more or covet anothers life we are leaving those who love us behind. Its selfish. My son didn't ask to be born, I asked to have him. I knew what came with a child, so why was I feeling like I deserved jewelry because of my efforts. I HAVE A CHILD, that's my compensation. I don't need jewelry to feel pretty, I HAVE A HUSBAND, who didn't marry me because of the rocks hanging off my limbs. He's seen me without makeup, during child birth, and unable to hold my liquor, he knows me at my worst and still loves me. 


 So here are the lessons I have learned:

1. I probably should have been put in jail for tampering with US mail.

2. Just because the lady with the jewelry wasn't like me right now doesn't mean I wasn't just like her at one point.

3.Material objects cannot smile at you, kiss you, laugh with you, love you or change your life. Especially if they are stolen.

4. I WILL be blessed by god for giving it back, somehow, I have no doubt, he recognizes our struggles and rewards our good decisions. He gives us tests and its up to us to pass them.

5. After the age of 6, finders keepers doesn't pertain to you.




3 comments:

  1. Megan, you are a great writer! I enjoy reading your blogs; keep 'em coming!
    OH...and you are beautiful, because of the good person you are, jewelry or no jewelry! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, this made me tear up... I can relate to this so much! Ahhmazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Meg. Mayne next time have Ashes open random packages...he's under 6, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete